Folwell Updates


February 2019 Neighborhood Night Recap

Location: Folwell Park

Date: 2.18.2019

# of People: 19

Board Members Present: Beryl Ann Burton, Buzzy Bohn, Joe Bell

Committee’s Present: Crime and Safety, Folwell Farmer Coalition,

Special Guests/Contact Info:


Joe Davis started the night out with a spoken word piece and tips for Storytelling. There has been a collective ask for a focus on Storytelling. The ability to own the narrative of our experience in Folwell, as a community, and as the Northside. Creating space for performance art in Neighborhood Night while also learning skills will be a focus for 2019.

County Commissioner Irene Fernando came and shared with the community about the work she is focusing on as she settles into her new position. Some of that work being focused on is the process of bail, Affordable Housing, and transportation. It was a wonderful time to get to hear from her and create an opportunity for residents to get access to our County Commissioner. You can find out more about Irene at her current website or her campaign website

Comfort Adult Day Care on 37th and Emerson came and invited the community to come and participate/volunteer with the work they do at their center. They have been spending a lot of time out in the community getting to know residents and connecting their resource with the Seniors who need it. Folwell is looking forward to getting to know our new neighbor and small business better. You can find out more about the Adult Day Care at or 651.373.9778 or 612.224.9971.

Community Build Question/Activity:

  • This didn’t happen as our time was used for presentations.

Topics/Issues brought forth from the Community:

  • Snow Removal on sidewalks and side streets and the problems they cause
  • Be aware of the Census coming out. Who is in charge of the Census, and how can Neighborhood Org’s participate in making them successful.
    • Dani has reached out to Ariah at NCR to learn more about the process and where Folwell fits in to the work.

Committee Reports:

  • Crime and Safety: Buzzy Bohn –
    • Safe Street Workshops will be held at Folwell Park on April 13 from 1:30-3:30pm
    • Look at what it would take to put Stop Lights on Penn and 36 and/or Lowry and Logan.
  • Folwell Farmer’s Coalition: Dani Tietjen –
    • Took a look at schedule and events folks want to have at the garden’s
      • Penn Ave Garden:
        • 2nd Sunday’s Potluck
        • Every Thurs work night
        • Meditation and yoga at garden
      • Story Garden:
        • First Friday Movie nights
        • Every Weds work night
        • Storytelling bonfire events
    • Other Events neighbors want to see:
      • Growing/Cooking lessons
        • Learn how to garden
        • Container gardening
        • Pickling and Canning
    • First weekend in April have a sign party at Folwell Park. These signs will be at all the gardens to help folks navigate where they can harvest and what items are. Communication is key to ensuring people feel comfortable in the gardens.
    • All these events will be added to the Folwell Calendar that comes out this April, as well as updated on the website.
    • Comfort Adult Day Care would like to connect with Project Sweetie Pie to offer gardening opportunities in the plot behind their building.
  • Green Team: Kathy Acaso –
  • Formal meeting didn’t happen. Will be waiting till next month to organize. Tentative schedule is for Spring Clean Sweep to happen April 27-28, 2019

One Word Evaluation:

This activity didn’t happen due to running over time and ending on lively conversation.



January 2019 Neighborhood Night Recap

Every month the Folwell Neighborhood Night hosts Neighborhood Night where residents come together to share a meal, get to know each other, and organize around the topics they care about. To learn more about this program, click here.

Below you will find the notes taken from the evening.

FNA Neighborhood Night Recap
Location: Folwell Park
Date: January 21, 2019
# of people: 10
Board Members present: Buzzy Bohn, Stacey Henderson
Committee’s present: Crime and Safety, Youth, Green Team, Garden Team
Special Guests/Contact info:

  • Brian Kelley, Young Builders and Designers: 612-839-5219,
  • Nancy Przymus, Bottineau Neighborhood Association: 612-801-7834



  • Young Builders and Designers came to share about their month long youth program for middle school students. Joining a building and design team includes 8 kids, 2 adults, 3 workshops and 1 competition. It is $400 per team. Each team meets once a week for a month focusing on a specific project that they design out of legos. The goal is to learn basic skills and language in architecture, designing and building.
  • Bottineau Neighborhood Association to discuss Lowry Bridge Cancer & Asthma Public Health Prevalence Study . Presented the findings of the Air test results and asking for Folwell to join in the effort to demand the city/state extend the Air testing beyond 2021. The study reveals that chronic Health Ris Values, HRV’s for Formaldehyde exceed the limits for human health almost 100% of the time for the past 4 years around the lowry Formaldehyde exposures this high can cause leukemia and brain cancer. Short term health effects include skin, eye, nose and throat irritation. To learn more contact BNA at or 612-367-7262. Door Knocking training will be on Feb. 2 at 2pm at 1808 University Ave NE.


Community Build Question/Activity:

  • What inspires you about MLK?
  • Reflecting on MLK day, we put up a poster for each team/committee and asked the question: “What is your dream for…” Residents spent the rest of evening adding words or comments. Those are captured below.
    • Housing
      • That landlords and tenants have better connections
      • That landlords should make sure that they run radon tests on all of their rental property.
    • Gardens
      • More gardens in our communities
      • More volunteers
      • More art
      • More music
      • More gatherings together
      • Feeding more people
    • Crime and Safety
      • That there will no longer be shots fired in North Minneapolis.
      • That the police could confiscate more weapons
      • That Police and Community could be more respectable and caring towards one another.
    • Green Team
      • That people would clean up behind themselves, be it their property or the streets.
      • That more residence would adopt trash containers on their block
      • Have them painted with art or a Clean slogan that inspires us


Committee Reports:

  • Crime and Safety
    • Chair: Buzzy Bohn
    • Topics/Discussion:
      • Focus on getting a 4th Precinct Inspector
      • How do we change the narrative and tell the positives of the neighborhood
      • Safe Streets clinic can be moved under this committee
    • Action Steps:
      • Signs like “Drive like your kids live here” around neighborhood
      • Safe Streets Action Clinic for the whole community


  • Clean Team / Green Team
    • Chair: Kathleen Acaso
    • Topics/Discussion:
      • Spring Clean sweep week after Earth Day celebrated at Folwell Park
      • Change name to Green Team
      • Are residents interested in hiring a truck 1-2 a year to pick up uncollectibles? The general consensus was not very inspired by the idea.
      • Looking into the FNA sponsoring trash receptacle along Penn, and/or getting businesses to sponsor a trash receptacle on their corner. No decision was met, more research is needed.
    • Action Steps:
      • Dani to contact Christine about changing email and website to green team
      • Kathleen to send Dani clean schedule to be added to Folwell Calendar


  • Youth Team
    • Chair: Stacey Henderson
    • Topics/Discussion:
      • Creating a Health and Wellness program: Mentorship, Physical Fitness, Nutrition, Self-Esteem, Peaceful Mind Development. This program will be for 8-18 yr olds.
    • Action Steps:
      • Stacey to reach out to Pastor Chapman at Redeemer and hear about their programs.
      • Connect with Youth Link at Folwell Park to hear about their programing and how the FNA program works alongside it or with it
      • Create a Kick Off event


  • Garden Team
    • Chair: Dani Tietjen
    • Topics/Discussions: This didn’t happen this month. There will a garden event for painting signs in March. We will take time in Feb to discuss it and announce a date.


Issues brought by Community:

  • Mary – Is there a way to create a network of folks who would sit with residents when they are witnesses in court? It would be a huge help and comfort to have someone in the court just for you, the witness.


One word Evaluation Activity:

  • This activity didn’t happen. We closed out the evening in spirited conversation.

December 2018 Neighborhood Night Recap

Every month the Folwell Neighborhood Night hosts Neighborhood Night where residents come together to share a meal, get to know each other, and organize around the topics they care about. To learn more about this pilot program, click here.

Below you will find the notes taken from the evening.

Neighborhood Night Update
Monday Dec. 17, 2018
Folwell Park 5:30pm
Special Guest: Juxtaposition bringing plans for the North Regional Library Renovations
Committee’s Present: Crime and Safety, Communications, Housing
Board Members Presents: Buzzy, Christine, Nate, Guin
Staff Presents: Dani, Chuck, Mysnikol, Heidi
Community Present: 10
Agreements: No hitting, Yes… and, Don’t take it personal, Active Listening, Consider others feelings, Be Respectful

Topics Discussed

Communication Plan

  • Streamlining the FNA communication plan.
  • Took input from residents about what they need from FNA
  • Transition and strategize better tools for the Secretary Role

Action Steps

  • Wrote a list of email goals – twice a month the Friday after the board mtg and NN
  • Research Texting reminders – goal to start using for mid-year
  • Nate and Christine talked through the Secretary role and its responsibilities


Crime and Safety: Input on MPD 4th Precinct Inspector

  • List of things people want to see in the next Inspector
  • Buzzy has a list of requests from residents to share with MPD leadership

Action Steps

  • Invite new inspector to the next Neighborhood Night meeting


North Penn Village Residents: They came to Neighborhood Night to ask for help in finding legal assistance for their Home Owner Association.

Action Steps

  • Dani is reviewing their binder and reaching out to a few organizations that could help.


Traffic Issues on 33rd and Fremont: Gathering community support to address the collisions and speeding on Fremont.

Action Steps:

  • Community Meeting on Saturday Jan. 12 at Fremont Clinic at 3pm.


Housing: Rent Stabilization Plan

Action Steps:

  • Guin is going to engage renters in Folwell to help write the proposal and have support in the effort


Input on Neighborhood Night: Residents gave input on how they want to see NN work going forward

  • If Thrivent is helping fund NN through their Micro Grant Program, invite them in to talk about what other programs and services they offer
  • Sometimes it can be difficult to ensure that everyone gets a chance to talk.
    • Possibly offer some facilitation training to committee chairs? – Mysnikol
  • Work on our communication and feedback loops.
    • Having visuals with dotmocracy is helpful and an easy way for folks to engage
  • NN is a healthier space to have fuller conversations around issues and topics
  • NN is great at building community
  • The informal space allows for good conversations


Important Dates to Remember:

  • January 7 – 630-8pm FNA Board Meeting at Folwell park
  • January 12 – 3-430pm Fremont Traffic Issues at Fremont Clinic
  • January 14 – 6-8pm Library Restoration Meeting at North Regional Library
  • January 21 – 530-8pm Neighborhood Night at Folwell Park


Juxtaposition Presentation:

  • The proposed changes to the North Regional Library are on display at the Library now. Juxtaposition is also attending all the community meetings they can to get input from the Neighborhood about what they want to see in the redevelopment. Currently the redesign will begin fall of 2019 and the Library will be closed for a year during construction.
  • If you would like to know more, come and join the meeting on Jan. 14 from 6-8pm at the Library.

October 2018 Neighborhood Night Recap

Every month the Folwell Neighborhood Night hosts Neighborhood Night where residents come together to share a meal, get to know each other, and organize around the topics they care about. To learn more about this pilot program, click here.

Below you will find the notes taken from the evening.

Neighborhood Night

Monday Oct. 18, 2018 5:30-8:30pm

Folwell Park

30 people present

Spent the first 30 min eating and visiting and hanging out. Went over the agreements, for the evening and nothing was added.

Agreements: This is a living document that sets the tone for the evening to allow safe space for people to bring their truth and ideas.

  • No Hitting
  • Respectful
  • Courteous
  • Open Minded
  • Yes, and…
  • Help your Neighbor
  • Be positive
  • Fail Forward
  • Truthful
  • Thoughtful
  • Put Cell phones on silent
  • Communicate from love rather than fear

The large group then heard from Juxta and Sen. Champion’s office about their programs and progress. After, we opened

Special Guests:

Crime and Safety:

  • Chair – Buzzy,
  • Discussed Issues on Penn
  • When to call 911
  • Action Items:
    • Etta will contact Face to Face to have conversations with the young people
    • Someone from 911 to come to Dec. mtg
    • Security workshop Nov. 3 at 4pm


  • Chair – Kathleen,
  • Fall Leaf Rake Nov. 3-4, 2018
  • Clean Sweep – blocks that still need help: Sign up with Kathleen
  • Dumping – Tires and mattresses
  • Moving the name from CLEAN Team to Green Team
  • Action Items:
    • Clean Sweep done, finalize this week
    • Thank you!
    • Discover new ways to make cleaning fun – host an event in the spring
    • Move from “Senior Leaf Rake” to “Fall Clean up” to expand our ability to help more people who need the assistance.
    • Agreed to change the name from CLEAN to Green team in Jan.  


Housing Committee Report

October 2018 Neighborhood Night

Tonight we considered the following:

  1. How to enforce judgments against TJ Waconia, LLC, Jonathan Helgason & Thomas Balko?
  2. How to utilize $70,000 FNA housing funds?

For number 1, copies on judgments have been scanned and are on file. Committee members are conducting independent research to be discussed next month at neighborhood night.

For number 2, committee members conducted an initial brainstorming session. First, a list of possible projects/program was constructed. Next, comments and question for each idea were offered. Moving forward the committee will add to and review these ideas at next month’s neighborhood night and have a discussion about which ideas to move forward with pursuing. See ideas and list of consideration for each below.


Small Short Term Loans for Emergency/Urgency

  1. What would the application process look like?
  2. Does it call for interest on repayment?
  3. What would be the cap?
  4. How would the repayments be collected?


Foreclosure Assistance

  1. Would there be a triage team for the factors that lead to the foreclosure situation?
  2. Would this include rental properties?


Beautification Funding

  1. Create sweat equity accounts.
  2. Earn Folwell bucks towards beautification supplies.


Energy Efficiency Rebates

  1. How would this interact with Excel or Centerpoint rebates and programs?
  2. Solar gardens


Snow/Sidewalk Cleaner (Nate Street’s proposal; attached)

  1. How would it sustain going forward?
  2. How do you prioritize geographically? Which areas at what times?
  3. Is it snow plowing or removal? Where will the snow go?
  4. Who is operating the machinery?
  5. Which sidewalks get done first? How do cleanings get scheduled?

Eviction Court Representation

  1. Are we only using Legal Aid?
  2. Will the representation understand racial disparities in legal system?
  3. Do we contact all homeowners in distress?

Rent Stabilization

  1. Would/could it include section 8 participants?
  2. How do we monitor subversive landlord tactics? (Negotiating side payments directly with tenants, breaking contracts in other ways, etc.)
  3. Do we set goals for the program? Why? Increase per year?
  4. How many landlords are involved?
  5. What is the timeline once in agreement?
  6. Is this a once in a lifetime assistance?

Down Payment Assistance

  1. What are the terms? Will it be forgiven?
  2. If not forgiven, how will it be paid back? What are the terms? When?
  3. What is the funding source?
  4. How much per buyer?

Renters Advocacy Board

  1. How would this be different from Homeline?
  2. Could this include an agreement or partnership with landlords?
  3. How/does this tie in with Conduct on Premise board?

Legal Clinics/Retainer Assistance

  1. How to identify people who need help?
  2. Legal clinics scheduled @Folwell
  3. Partly to welcome community.
  4. How do we capitalize on programs and assistance that already exists in the community?
  5. Would this be better addressed with more advertising or connection? Do we need to organize it ourselves?

“Fix Up” Weekends

  1. Volunteers only?
  2. How many hours to commit to?
  3. Is this for seniors/disabled only?
  4. Is this for outside of the property only?
  5. How do people sign up to participate?
  6. How can we connect with local contractors, handy people, etc. to create mutually beneficial opportunities?

After we came together and gave our Action Items we took a moment to give an evaluation of the night:

Evaluation: One word from participants

  • Optimistic
  • Informational
  • Engaged
  • Happy
  • Community
  • Enthusiastic
  • Building
  • Progress
  • Empowered
  • Oooohhhh
  • Synergy
  • Connected
  • Renewed Purpose
  • Hyped

Action Items are given to each committee or team to follow up on.


Meet Your Candidates

To view current applicants for the Folwell Neighborhood Association Board of Directors, please see their profiles below.

Learn more about your candidates

Folwell Residents hold the voting power to decide who will represent our neighborhood and help direct the future of Folwell. Five seats are up for election during the Annual on November 12th, from 6-8 pm at Folwell Park. Please come out to help decide who will fill the open seats!

Find out more about the Annual Meeting and the election process, or get your application here

Hope to see everyone there!