Second annual Minneapolis Public Schools Junior Iron Chef competition These kids can stand the heat
MINNEAPOLIS – So they’re heading into the kitchen. In the second annual Minneapolis Public Schools Junior Iron Chef competition, 12 middle school students will be paired with six of Minneapolis’ hottest chefs as they compete for the title of Junior Iron Chef
Local foodie and WCCO anchor Jason DeRusha will emcee the event, providing the play-by-play as teams create, prepare and serve unique recipes.
Using ingredients found in school kitchens, the teams will craft dishes to impress the palates of celebrity judges.
The winning dish will be served throughout Minneapolis Public Schools lunchrooms this fall.
What: Second annual Minneapolis Public Schools Junior Iron Chef competition
When: Monday, May 2 5:30-7:30 p.m. (Media welcome to arrive at 5 p.m.)
Where: Solar Arts by Chowgirls 711 15th Ave. NE Minneapolis, MN 55413
The celebrity judges include:
· Minneapolis School Board Vice Chair Kim Ellison
· Minneapolis Public Schools Interim Superintendent Michael Goar
· Minneapolis Public Schools’ Anwatin Middle School student body president and 2015 Junior Iron Chef competitor Janaan Ahmed
· U.S. Congressman Keith Ellison
· Minnesota State Senator Bobby Joe Champion
· Minnesota Commissioner of Education Brenda Cassellius
· Foodie, Philanthropist, and Founder of the Charlie Awards Sue Zelickson
· Minnesota Monthly Food Editor Joy Summers